Screen recorders are used to capture (or record) your computer screen to share it with others (followers, subscribers, etc) it allows you to create videos, tutorials, demos, and more.
Of so many types, the most popular is YouTube videos. Generally, YouTubers record their screens to teach their followers how to do something.
So, are you a YouTuber looking for free screen recording software to record your computer screen and show your subscribers how to do something? Or a blogger? Or someone looking for a screen recorder?
If so then you have come to the right place.
In this post, you will discover the top 5 free screen recorders that you can download and use on your Windows computer.
Most computers and laptops have inbuilt screen recorders but they are not that great. They offer limited features and therefore getting an alternative is a better option.
That’s when you realise that you need a different screen recorder.
So what is a good Screen Recorder? Let’s look at some of its qualities.
Qualities Of A Good Screen Recorder
Here’s a handful of some qualities that your next screen recorder must possess.
- Must be free.
- Should be easy to use.
- Allows you to record the full screen or a part of the screen.
- Has export options.
- Allows you to modify it.
It’s also important to note that most screen recorders nowadays offer HD quality recordings. However, as the file size of HD videos is generally large these videos take time to download and upload so if you are looking for a quicker option that records standard quality videos then below are some potential options.
5 Best Free Screen Recorders For Windows PC For Download
Following is a list of top picks for free screen recorders that are available for download on Windows PC or laptop along with their features and download sources.
1. Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder is a screen recording software that allows you to capture your screen and convert them into video, apps, games tutorials. You can also do live streaming and record webinars.
The best part, Icecream Screen Recorder is available for free.
- You get to choose the area of the screen you want to be recorded.
- You can add extra elements like text, arrows, shapes, and stickers.
- It also supports GIF formats.
- You can pre-select the video quality in which you want the video downloaded.
Click here to download Icecream Screen Recorder on your Windows PC.
2. OBS Studio
OBS Studio is another free screen recording software that lets you record as well live stream on your computer. Using this software you can capture as long videos as you want, that is without time limits.
It is a perfect choice for professionals and YouTubers.
- Also allows you to convert your recordings into FLV format.
- Has sound mix capabilities that produce recorded videos with awesome audio.
- Allows you to choose whether a part of the screen or the whole window is recorded.
- Has live streaming options.
You can download the OBS Studio on your laptop here.
Screencastify is a free screen recording tool that is only accessible via Google Chrome. It is supported in Windows, Linux as well as Mac computers. Screencastify is a great option for capturing footage of software demos and video solutions.
- Supports exporting formats like GIF, MP3, and MP4.
- Automatically saves the recorded videos to the user’s Google Drive account.
- Has a drawing pen tool to add details at the time of recording.
- Supports full-screen capture as well as a part of it.
Click here to visit the Screencastify site.
ShareX is another excellent open-source screen recording tool that has almost every feature that a modern screen recorder has.
The best part about ShareX is that it doesn’t place brand bookmarks so if you want to maintain a reputation ShareX is an ideal option.
Plus, it has no time limits for a recorded video. You also get to save your recordings in GIF formats.
The software is only available on Windows and Linux devices. It has amazing screen recording features for Linux devices.
- Allows you to upload video footage directly to YouTube and other platforms.
- A pre-built free photo editor lets you edit images and screenshots easily.
- Also captures and reveals text via OCR.
- Schedule recording available.
Click here to visit the ShareX website and download it.
5. Flashback Express
Flashback Express is a perfect choice for YouTubers who record games from a webcam. Flashback Express also didn’t put brand bookmarks on your video or put time limit pressures.
It is amazing for beginners as it has an amazing user interface that makes the use of the software super easy.
It allows you to cut, trim, snip and edit your video recording and lets you export videos directly to YouTube or your FTP server.
Flashback express has a free version that is fairly standard considering all the features provided but if you want to explore advanced options then upgrading to the pro version can be a good decision.
- Multiple download formats like GIF, MP3, and MP4 available.
- Beginner-friendly interface.
- Gives you the option to record from a screen or webcam.
- Allows you to convert long videos into multiple short clippings.
Click here to download the free version of Flashback Express on your Windows computer.
FAQs Related To Screen Record Softwares
What is screen recording software?
A screen recording software is a tool that allows you to capture your computer screen and convert it into video files.
Which is the best screen recording software for 2021?
According to my list above, the best free screen recording software is Icecream Screen Recorder.
What are the factors to consider while choosing a screen recorder?
Here’s a list of things to consider while choosing a screen recorder.
- Easy to use.
- Free of cost.
- Allows different download formats.
- And more.
To summarise, the above list includes the top 5 screen recording softwares that are available for free to download on Windows computer.
There are better alternatives that have paid plans but I think we should try all the free options first. This gives you a feel of all the features and if you don’t get what you were looking for then you can always go for the paid options.
I hope you found your screen recording software. If you found this post helpful please share it with your friends.